Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Calling all Feminists!

Go and read this. Then tell me what you think.

I think it did a great job of defining feminism, calling out feminists for not defending Sarah Palin's right to non-sexist coverage in the media. I think it did a less-fine job of calling out conservatives on their insistence on Palin getting a non-sexist media treatment while at the same time giving Hillary Clinton that same sexist media treatment (though it does acknowledge this point).

I would definitely consider myself a third-wave feminist, concerned with the intersections of race and class and feminism. I also support the many ways that women express their feminism, even if I don't always agree with their conclusions (much as the author affirmed in her column about Sarah Palin). That's the gift of post-modernity - there's more than one way to be a feminist, chicas.

Go forth and be fabulous today.

h/t MotherTalkers

No comments: